Funds and Fiduciary Services
Position: Senior Attorney
Location: Cayman Islands
The Maples Group is a standard bearer in financial and legal services, trusted by many of the world’s largest hedge fund managers, private equity firms and international corporations.
Our distinction flows from our carefully curated team: 2,000+ professionals characterised by tenacity, ethics and exacting excellence. We hire smart and sharpen smarter, arming talent with best-in-class resources and skills. With 18 locations across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, our international presence offers a unique springboard for career development and cross-cultural immersion. Our side-by-side financial and legal services are similarly ripe for interdisciplinary learning and growth.
The Maples Group looks to add a Cayman based Senior Attorney to our team and invites eager and qualified candidates to apply. We are committed to diversity, inclusion and equality of opportunity as we attract, retain and develop world-class talent.
Who We Seek
Our merit-based culture suits professionals in pursuit of boundless careers and lives. Beyond their acumen, team members are collaborative and conscientious, bringing a healthy sense of drive and purpose to each interaction and to all aspects of their work.
About the Role
The Senior Attorney ("SA") reports to Assistant General Counsel in the Cayman Islands (the "AGC") and in her absence reports to the MaplesFS General Counsel (the "GC").
Key duties will include:
- Managing a team of junior attorneys which will be responsible for drafting and negotiation of all client contracts with the various MaplesFS entities across all jurisdictions;
- Ensure prompt drafting of all client documents;
- Oversee the review of all client comments to documents and ensure prompt response to clients including production of revised drafts;
- Lead/oversee negotiations with clients regarding documentation;
- Train junior attorneys to handle direct negotiations with client counsel;
- Draft bespoke agreements, including multi-entity agreements and multi-service agreements; draft precedents for new service offerings;
- Oversee updates of existing precedents;
- Consult with CSPs throughout the documentation and negotiation process to ensure client relationship is being properly managed; oversee drafting of and updates to MaplesFS internal service agreements and delegation agreements;
- Review and negotiate third party vendor agreements entered into by the MaplesFS Group;
- Review D&O insurance policies covering directors provided by MaplesFS to ensure sufficient coverage and terms;
- Conduct legal research regarding new developments and regulatory issues;
- Stay appraised of regulatory developments; and
- Perform additional functions as required by the GC or AGC.
What You Bring
The successful candidate must be an Attorney qualified to practice law in the Cayman Islands and:
- Must have at least 6 years’ of experience in corporate law with a recognised law firm or as in-house counsel;
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and meet tight deadlines;
- Is required to have a careful eye and pay attention to details, have the ability to critically review documents and catch/correct mistakes, typos and grammatical errors.
The ability to work collaboratively with teammates and with others across the organization is required.
Key skills for this role are as follows:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate with others across the organisations; strong communication skills with the ability to lead conference calls with opposing counsel and lead negotiations responding to client comments/issues.
The successful candidate must be able to use his/her own initiative, work well under pressure to meet deadlines and be able to maintain confidentiality at all times. The Successful candidate may be required to work extended hours on short notice and occasionally on weekends.
About the Maples Group
Over five decades, the Maples Group has grown from modest beginnings into one of the world's preeminent professional services firms, offering specialised fiduciary, fund administration, regulatory and compliance, entity formation and management and legal services on the laws of the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Ireland, Jersey and Luxembourg.
Disclaimer: All personal information collected during the application process will be used for recruitment-related purposes only. Please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice for details on how we handle personal information relating to job applicants.
Boundary Hall Cricket Square PO Box 1093 Grand Cayman KY1-1102 Cayman Islands
The most enduring professional relationships are reciprocal relationships. The Maples Group prioritises employee health and wellbeing. Depending on your location, we offer a range of benefits, including:
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental and optical)
- Competitive vacation packages
- Educational assistance and professional development programmes
- Savings or pension plan
- Life insurance
- Travel insurance
- Global mental wellness programme
- Sports clubs and social events
7 November 2021