APPLICATION SUPPORT DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
Position: Application Support Database Administrator
Location: Cayman Islands
The Maples Group is a standard bearer in financial and legal services, trusted by many of the world’s largest hedge fund managers, private equity firms and international corporations.
Our distinction flows from our carefully curated team: 2,000+ professionals characterised by tenacity, ethics and exacting excellence. We hire smart and sharpen smarter, arming talent with best-in-class resources and skills. With 18 locations across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, our international presence offers a unique springboard for career development and cross-cultural immersion. Our side-by-side financial and legal services are similarly ripe for interdisciplinary learning and growth.
The Maples Group looks to add a Cayman, Application Support Database Administrator to our team and invites eager and qualified candidates to apply. We are committed to diversity, inclusion and equality of opportunity as we attract, retain and develop world-class talent.
Who We Seek
Our merit-based culture suits professionals in pursuit of boundless careers and lives. Beyond their acumen, team members are collaborative and conscientious, bringing a healthy sense of drive and purpose to each interaction and to all aspects of their work.
About the Role
We are currently searching for an Application Support Database Administrator to assist in the availability, performance, integrity and security of databases across the Maples group. The DBA takes ownership of the daily operational tasks related to the database estate; therefore, the DBA must possess the relevant skills in operation and support of database technologies, specifically Microsoft SQL Server.
Work is managed using Azure DevOps with a heavy focus on automation using Powershell and deployment of solutions using CI\CD pipelines. Most production instances are SQL 2014 upwards, with all new instances being 2017 while offering excellent technical support. This is a fantastic opportunity to engage in a positive and creative work environment that offers excellent benefits and has a great tech feel.
- Identify and resolve performance issues to keep applications and processes responsive;
- Ensure there are regular and consistent backups in case of unexpected failures;
- Run scripts or jobs to bolster ad-hoc processes;
- Keep live relationships with external vendors;
- Develop and providing expertise on extract, load and transform solutions;
- Provide current, useful information to other teams to help build better applications and processes;
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and reference architectures;
- Identify who accessed\modified data and when;
- Ensure the right people access the right data and no uncontrolled copies exist;
- Access business growth and provision systems to support it;
- Provide design and support expertise for HA solutions. Devise and test disaster recovery plans;
- Install and configure the VM and OS to best support SQL Server;
- Install and test new versions of database management systems;
- Monitor the SQL Server environment to deal with issues before they become significant problems;
- Ensure no one server or resource is a hot spot;
- Work with applications that are supported by SQL Server and assist with troubleshooting issues;
- Ensure the servers that support SQL Server is working correctly;
- Keep the company within compliance procedures and within the law;
- Check processes and procedures before they are deployed to production environments;
- Resolve existing issues quickly and effectively;
- Use automation scripts, like Powershell, for repeatable tasks;
- Enjoys both the responsive and proactive elements of the support role;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to provide telephone and e-mail support to end-users.
What You Bring
In addition to indisputably high ethical standards and autonomy, the ideal candidate possesses the following:
- Proven Microsoft SQL Server 2008-2016 Database Administration Experience;
- Hands on experience of Clustering and Always On;
- Experience of managing multiple large DBMS;
- Practical experience in managing the MS SQL database security;
- Experience of the System Centre management stack; SCOM; SCCM; SCORCH etc;
- Experience of working in a team that delivers a high availability service;
- Financial Services or Law Firm experience;
- Experience working with an international business in multiple time-zones;
- Must be available to work outside of office hours when necessary.
About the Maples Group
Over five decades, the Maples Group has grown from modest beginnings into one of the world's preeminent professional services firms, offering specialised fiduciary, fund administration, regulatory and compliance, entity formation and management and legal services on the laws of the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Ireland, Jersey and Luxembourg.
Disclaimer: All personal information collected during the application process will be used for recruitment-related purposes only. Please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice for details on how we handle personal information relating to job applicants.
Ugland House, South Church Street, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
The most enduring professional relationships are reciprocal relationships. The Maples Group prioritises employee health and wellbeing. Depending on your location, we offer a range of benefits, including:
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental and optical)
- Competitive vacation packages
- Educational assistance and professional development programmes
- Savings or pension plan
- Life insurance
- Travel insurance
- Global mental wellness programme
- Sports clubs and social events
Maples’ standard policy to undertake various background screening checks, including criminal records checks, on all applicants to whom a conditional job offer is made. Maples will only ask applicants to disclose a past criminal conviction when a conditional job offer is made. If you have a criminal record, it does not mean that your job offer will be automatically withdrawn. Maples will make all job offer decisions on a case by case basis and will take a number of factors into account, such as the role that you are applying for and the nature and circumstances of the past offence. You will have the opportunity to discuss the matter with Maples before a decision is made.