SENIOR LEGAL COUNSEL
Position: Senior Legal Counsel
The Office of General Counsel ("OGC") team is responsible for all legal matters affecting the Group globally.
This is a new and exciting opportunity to join our growing OGC team in a multi-faceted role within a dynamic and diverse business. You will be based in London, reporting to our Group General Counsel ("Group GC") and collaborating with colleagues across the countries in which the Group operates. This position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to undertake a challenging and responsible role, involving regular interaction with senior management on a range of sensitive and confidential legal matters impacting the Group at both a local and a global level. It would suit a lawyer who is comfortable operating at a senior level within a small legal team, and who has the adaptability required to advise on a wide spectrum of legal matters.
- In conjunction with the Group General Counsel, directly interface with, and provide strategic advice to, the senior management of the Group on a range of business-critical legal matters
- Act as point-person on contentious legal practice matters, coordinating with the Group GC and outside counsel and updating the Group GC as to significant developments. These might include, for example, troublesome practice matters/potential or threatened litigation, contentious regulatory activity in the countries in which the Group operates and employee disputes
- Identify learning points from the above matters and communicate them to key stakeholders
- Act as primary point of contact for client service professionals in connection with
- comments or amendments raised by clients on our terms of engagement
- legal issues in clients' terms of engagement and lead/oversee negotiations with clients
- Review and update periodically our precedent client agreements and internal legal documents
- Advise client service professionals on legal issues arising in the course of providing client services
- In collaboration with Contracts Managers (who would look to you for supervision and guidance on more complex matters), review and negotiate legal issues in third party vendor contracts
- Research and stay apprised of new legal and regulatory developments and issues
- Address a wide range of legal issues in collaboration with the Risk & Compliance team, e.g. transactions, intellectual property, insurance, conflicts and governance
- Provide legal input to reviews and updates to Group policies and procedures generally
- Perform additional functions and support as required by the Group GC
- Mentor and supervise the paralegal(s) within the team
We are looking for:
- A commercially focused mid-level lawyer with a disputes background in a top-tier law firm or similar, who wishes to undertake a wide-ranging advisory role encompassing both contentious and non-contentious workstreams
- A strong academic background, with excellent communication and drafting skills
- Outstanding technical skills, combined with the ability to take responsibility, build relationships and collaborate with clients and colleagues globally
- A proven desire to find creative solutions to complex commercial and legal problems to advance the business in a sustainable way
Some exposure to commercial, transactional and/or regulatory legal work would be an advantage, as would experience in an in-house legal function.
About the Maples Group
We are Maples Group, a leading provider of legal, fiduciary, fund, regulatory, compliance, entity formation and management services. We offer clients a comprehensive range of legal services on the laws of the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Ireland, Jersey and Luxembourg. We distinguish ourselves with our client-focused approach, providing solutions tailored to their specific needs. We have a global network of lawyers and industry professionals, strategically located in the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Middle East to ensure clients gain immediate access to expert advice and bespoke support, within convenient time zones.
200 Aldersgate St, Barbican, London EC1A 4HD, United Kingdom
We offer an excellent compensation package for this role which includes; a competitive salary, a discretionary performance based bonus scheme and an excellent benefits package.
Pre-employment background screening
Please note that it is Maples’ standard policy to undertake various background screening checks, including criminal records checks, on all applicants to whom a conditional job offer is made. Maples will only ask applicants to disclose a past criminal conviction when a conditional job offer is made. If you have a criminal record it does not mean that your job offer will be automatically withdrawn. Maples will make all job offer decisions on a case by case basis and will take a number of factors into account, such as the role that you are applying for and the nature and circumstances of the past offence. You will have the opportunity to discuss the matter with Maples before a decision is made.
For an explanation of how we handle your personal data submitted for positions with one of our European entities, please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
2 August 2021